September 16, 2005

My article on Alberto Gonzales

will be in the October 10th American Conservative (available to electronic subscribers on Saturday). A brief excerpt:

The day after nominating John Roberts to be Chief Justice of the United States, President Bush addressed the remaining Supreme Court vacancy: "The list is wide open . … And make sure you notice when I said that, I looked right at Al Gonzales…"

Last summer, when Gonzales’s name was first floated as a replacement for Sandra Day O’Connor, Bush lashed out at conservatives for their tepid response. Sounding like a cross between Don Corleone and the narrator of Green Eggs and Ham, the president bristled:

"I don't like it when a friend gets criticized. I'm loyal to my friends. And all of a sudden this fellow, who is a good public servant and a really fine person, is under fire. And so, do I like it? No, I don't like it at all."

No matter whom George W. Bush ultimately nominates, it's clear that the man the he would most like to appoint is Gonzales, his longtime consigliere upon whom he has bestowed the Godfatherish nickname "Fredo." After decades of personally prospering through crony capitalism, Bush wishes to reward his most devoted practitioner of lackey legalism by ensconcing Gonzales on the high court.


My published articles are archived at iSteve.com -- Steve Sailer

No comments: